Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ultra-workout Turtle Rescue







I recently was finishing a 22 mile training run near my home and found a very large snapping turtle in the middle of a well-driven street. It was half a mile from nearest water due to heavy rains that caused its movement. This specimen was about 20 inches in diameter, about as large as they get in the Northeast, and about 50-60 pounds weight. These turtles can inflict nasty bites and have tempers to match their size and bite. However, they, as all of the creatures in the wild, deserve to have a good habitat.


My son, Andrew and I used a 50 gallon garbage pail to capture it and brought the fabulous specimen to the nearby reservior, where it swam away gracefully. Above are several photos of this "guy" swimming away.

I did not complete the final 1/2 mile of my run. This positive experience will keep me fleet of feet in my planned 50 mile race on Sat. July 4th in the Finger Lakes region of NY State.










No comments:

Post a Comment